Sunday, May 18, 2003

Same old, same old

I wasn't 100% convinced Pelosi would be different. But I hoped. As I posted some time ago a good percentage of that hope was dashed when I learned Rep. Pelosi, champion of human rights when it concerns the Chinese even at a time it was most unpopular, is basically unconcerned about the rights of Palestinians.

She's not alone, of course. Another politician that is often thought of as a champion for the rights of all, Henry Waxman, shares her pro-Israel views.

But yesterday I lost any inkling Nancy Pelosi is any different from her predecessor, Dick Gephardt. Especially considering the right-leaning Washington Post can offer at least a tinge of dark criticism of the Bush administration's failure to find WMD in Iraq, it is outrageous that Ms. Pelosi has only this to say about the situation;

This week, Pelosi said it is "difficult to understand" why the weapons can't be found. Yet she did not seem concerned about whether any are found. "I am sort of agnostic on it; that is to say, maybe they are there," Pelosi said. "I salute the president for the goal of removing weapons of mass destruction."

No comments: