Friday, May 30, 2003

Married (A Marine)In The Haight

Since I can remember I've had this compulsion to write poetry occasionally all the while aware I'm lousy at it. To make matters worse I can't help myself from sharing it.

Memorial Day came and went
leaving little flags for orphans
collecting
hot dog bun wrappers.

Some slick d.c. stone that
reflects light nicely.
Incomplete
until your name is on it.

They will never tag a soul.
Hand-to-Hand
Budget Cuts
Hills aren't kind
to the losers.

Off you went...

any second
without notice
you couldn't help it.
good soldier you.

Hobo brides know
wedding gowns and box cars
clash
Like alchemy and love.

And you hit the park fast.
Ignore the bench deans' spasms
Clutch the white port tighter.
Refuse to share the medicine.

I brought bread for the pigeons...
You cooed they're unappreciative.
Insisted we honor institutions with lies if necessary...
That was the drill and how they honored you.